Intro Ski Touring Course
2 places availables from 19 to 25 february. An increasing number of skiers & mountaineers are realising what fantastic experiences ski journeys away from the pistes and in to the mountains can give.
Aesthetic and efficient in ascent and swift and stylish (sometimes!) in descent. The ski mountaineer is able to mix the fun of off-piste skiing with the deeply satisfying environment of the mountaineer. On this introductory 5 day course course we aim to train you in the essential skills required for smoothly completing some classic alpine ski tours and becoming a strong member of a ‘back-country’ ski team in the process..
– Provide very high quality training so that you develop the skills for off-piste skiing and ski touring safely and efficiently.
– Effective (and enjoyable!) skiing techniques for different types of off-piste terrain.
– Understanding your ski touring bindings and becoming efficient in their use.
– Skinning – How the skins work, putting them on and taking them off, breaking trail and choosing a line, easy angled & steep turns (Kick turns).
– Avalanche awareness, route planning and safe travel techniques.
– Becoming skilled in the use of your essential avalanche equipment, shovel, probe and transceiver.
– Managing ‘transitions’ (e.g. being efficient transferring from skinning to skiing modes).
– Storing skis on your rucksack if you need to travel on foot.
– Familiarising with your mountaineering equipment – ice axe, crampons, harness.
– Introduction to ski glacier travel and the use of the rope.
– Use of maps, guide books, GPS and the latest ‘Apps’ for route planning and navigation.
– Emergency Procedures in the Alps.
– Prepare you for further off-piste and ski touring adventures (e.g Skiing The Benevolo ski mountaineering Tour).
– Have a fun & sociable week & meet up with other like minded ski touring folk who you may be able to ski with in the future.